Saturday, February 14, 2009

Top 5 Shopping Spots in LA

Having just left LA and now stuck in Portland on a stopover (extended by another delay - remind me to always get a direct flight!), here are my top 5 shoppings spots in LA. I was going to do a Top 5 Things to Do in LA posting, but who's kidding who - the main thing I do when I'm there is shop.

1. Melrose Ave.
Go to Melrose for boutique stores that have unique clothes at reasonable prices. If you're heading there via La Cienega, make sure you go far enough past the brand name stores like Marc Jacobs, even past Paul Frank. Park around Martel Ave. and you can hit the good shops in that area, like Diva Boutique - unique clothes, wicked shoes, and nice guys that run it!

2. 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica
I hadn't been there in recent trips, but made my way there yesterday with my friend Jenn, opting for the outdoor shopping there rather than the Beverly Center this time. If not for anything else, the main reason to come here is the LARGEST Forever 21 I have ever seen. I didn't know they made them this big. The one here is better than the one in the Beverly Center. 3 floors and an overwhelming amount of clothes. Be prepared to be there for at least 2 hours so you can narrow down your selection!

I've never seen a celebrity there, but this site says they go there. I'm probably too busy shopping to see them.

3. Barney's warehouse sale (@ Santa Monica airport)
I wish I would have checked this out on this trip. It probably would've made me spend money that I shouldn't be. My friend Jenn went today and got a pair of $1100 Manolo's for 75% off. Brings it down to prices for normal people! This economy is good for something!

4. Beverly Center
If you're on Melrose and want to easily hit another spot with lots of good stores and don't want to navigate your way around LA and worry about LA traffic, Beverly Center is a good bet. They've got everything from low-end (Forever 21 of course), to mid-range (like Kenneth Cole) to high-end (like Gucci) to suit your various levels of fashion flavor and budget.

It's at La Cienega and Beverly/3rd Street, more info here.

5. Century City Mall
I'm stretching it by listing this one as fifth, because it can be hit or miss. But can't think of another realistic area, since other sites will list areas like Robertson or Rodeo, which are not realistic for most. Here, it's an outdoor mall (unlike Beverly, which is an indoor mall). The MNG/Mango store there makes it worthwhile. After hitting the department stores there, credit card ready, and nothing to buy - I went a little crazy in the Mango store last fall.

So next time I'm there, if I experience a better one, Century City may have to fall off this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment